Different Crystal Shapes: Their Energy, Meaning, and Uses for Everyday
Learn about 10 of the most common crystal shapes
We are all aware of the variety of shapes crystals and stones can come in, and while they are all beautiful and aesthetic in their own way, there is much more to each crystal shape in regards to their meaning, energy output, and usage. I’m going to cover the majority of all crystal shapes on the market in hopes to better your understanding of them and help you decide what crystal shape is best for you and your needs. Keep in mind that a lot of the content in this post is my own personal opinion and experience, what you may experience from one crystal shape might be different than what I experience. After reading this, I suggest tuning into your intuition to see what crystal shapes you are most drawn to.
Points and Towers
A crystal tower can be 6 or 8 sided with a flat base for it to stand. Towers can be carved and polished into this shape or they can be made from a natural crystal point like Quartz, Amethyst, or Citrine by cutting the bottom to be flat so it can stand. Sometimes the crystal faces will be polished to sharpen, repair, or emphasize the termination.
The energy of a crystal tower is directed upward and out. Wherever they are placed they emit a very focused and directional energy that affects the area around it as well as any other crystals that are nearby.
• Crystal towers are excellent to use in the center of a grid to focus its intention and energy.
• Feng Shui a room, one example of this would be placing a tower in each corner of a room to create a vortex of energy.
• One of my go-to crystal shapes to grab when I need to calm down and focus is a tower. Meditating holding a tower will allow any blocked or stagnant energy to flow again and help you reset and feel more energized. You can do this by focusing on the energy you feel in the crystal tower - what is the direction it's flowing? Where can you feel it in your body? Is it cleansing and releasing energy or bringing in new energy, or both? You can try visualizing the energy moving out or into your body, flowing through and clearing each of the chakras from head to toe.
• A few of my personal favorite ways to use crystal towers is putting them in my workspace, for example, fluorite crystal is especially good for desks or offices due to their ability to aid in focus and concentration, I like to think that the fluorite crystal points on my desk are providing me with sharp and direct energy to help me focus on whatever I’m working on.
• Another way I love to use crystal towers is bringing them in the shower with me. I know it might sound silly, and even risky (you definitely want to be careful!) but I love the energy of a crystal tower to accompany me in the shower. Clear Quartz, Fluorite, and Amethyst are my favorites for this, it just depends if you’re trying to wake up, reset and cleanse, and/or relax and calm down. In addition to the shower, I also love to create crystal grids around my bathtub using crystal towers and other shaped crystals.
Crystal spheres emit their energy from all sides, expanding to an entire room evenly. Their energy has a childlike innocence to them and they bring a playful, whimsical element to our lives.
Spheres provide us with an overall feeling of stability, harmony, and unity since their crystal energy is very balancing. The circle resembles the circle of life, and brings in life force energy and wholeness.
Program your crystal sphere with a specific intention to release energy wherever it is placed or to aid you in meditating on a particular problem or healing a certain emotion.
Place a crystal sphere in the center of a grid to emit the energy/intention gently and evenly. Connecting the life force energy that runs within us to the energy of the grid makes it even more personal.
Use your sphere for scrying. Crystal gazing is a type of scrying done with a crystal sphere. Get yourself into a meditative state and gaze into the crystal to receive divine downloads or outlooks into the future… The sphere acts as a window to important energy or messages meant for you.
Massage therapy: try rolling a sphere where you have pain or tension in your body. Spheres are excellent for releasing pent up energy stuck in the body.
Use a cleansing sphere like Clear Quartz, Carnelian, or Selenite to cleanse other crystals or different areas in your home.
Hold a sphere in each hand during meditation for harmony and connection to life force energy.
Crystal clusters and geodes have strong vibrational energies due to having many points combined together. Geodes, unlike clusters, have all of their terminations located on the inside. They are typically rounded and show no sign of crystals on the outside unless they are broken in half. Sometimes geodes are cut at the base so they can be displayed standing up. Each little point within a geode emits its own energy, making the inside of the geode very powerful and perfect for charging or cleansing tumbled stones or small crystals.
Clusters have points of all different shapes and sizes that typically terminate in different directions. Each cluster is special and unique in its own way, no two clusters are ever the same.
As we know from earlier in the blog post, crystal points are powerful energy amplifiers, so clusters are especially powerful with their output of energy. The points in a cluster vibrate together harmoniously to bring positive energy and transmute negativity in any space they are in. They can also help us feel more energized mentally and physically as well as aide us with decision making.
Larger clusters have the ability to cleanse larger areas, for example, a whole 2nd floor, a classroom/healing center, or a master bedroom and bath.
Cleanse your space.
Place on your altar or in your sacred space to bring positive vibrational energies and transmute negative ones. Clusters can also be used for protection with any magic or divination work such as tarot, scrying, or channeling.
Meditate in front of a cluster to raise vibrations and achieve higher states of consciousness.
Some clusters work perfectly as jewelry holders - place rings on the points, drape bracelets or necklaces over the cluster. Not only is this a beautiful way to display your jewelry, but it will also cleanse and charge it if it is a piece of crystal jewelry.
Place other crystals inside or on top of your cluster. Sometimes clusters can perfectly hold spheres or other small crystals.
Palm stone is more of a blanket term. There are many types of palm stones: thumb stones, worry stones, gallets, palm stones, and touch stones. They each have specific features, but sometimes in the market the names can be interchanged, and it can get a little confusing, so I’m going to go over them and give my personal classification of each.
Thumb/worry stones are smaller in size and sometimes have an indent on one side to place your thumb. Palm stones are equal in size and proportion. They can be circular or oval shaped and small enough to fit in the average hand size.
Gallets are bigger in size, they are usually more circular and chunky because they stay true to the nature of the material when it was found and less is carved away. Finally, touch stones are extra large palm stones, sometimes almost like a freeform.
Palm stones are perfect to hold during meditation due to their size. Personally this is one of my all time favorite crystal shapes to purchase due to their accessibility and affordable price.
Fidgeting device. Palm stones provide you with something to keep your hands busy or help you to focus and stay grounded.
Keep one in your pocket or bag. I love to pick out a different palm stone I’m drawn to each day to take with me wherever I’m going. That’s another reason why I love palm stones, they are small enough to throw in your bag or pocket and go (although I have to admit I do sometimes like to bring tiny clusters or spheres with me)!
Finally, another way I enjoy using palm stones is sleeping with them. If you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, palm stones are incredibly comforting to hold while you fall asleep. You can also place a palm stone under your pillow if you don’t want to hold it. Specific types of stones can aid us in sleep, lucid dreaming, and dream recall.
Hearts are very similar to palm stones, they are just shaped to look like a heart. Hearts can range in many sizes and styles. They connect with the energy of the heart chakra and emit their energy in a very loving and gentle manner while giving us a sense of peace and harmony. Hearts can be good for those who are extra sensitive to the energies of crystals since the energy output is softer.
Crystal hearts are wonderful to aid in heart chakra healing. They can be programmed with specific intentions if you wish to do so. Hearts that are green or pink, such as Rhodonite, Rose Quartz, Green Aventurine, or Green Opal will have an even stronger attunement to the heart chakra.
FREEFORMS AND FLAMES
A freeform is a chunk of material that is carved typically in an irregular rounded shape, sometimes if a stone grows a particular way or requires a specific type of cut/polish they will appear more flat, like labradorite for example. Freeforms come in all sizes and each one is unique and highlights the natural beauty of any stone.
A flame is similar to a freeform but they taper off at the top and they resemble the organic movement of a flame, they kind of remind me of soft serve ice cream cones! Flames can be more simplistic and geometric in style as well.
Freeforms do not have a specific meaning or special output of energy like the rest of the shapes, but that doesn’t mean they don’t still fill a room with good vibes and beauty.
Statement pieces to decorate your home.
Meditate in front of a freeform or place it on your altar or in your sacred space. Labradorite would be especially useful in these spaces to activate the third eye and heighten intuition.
Depending on the material, use a freeform for crystal gazing.
Some people like to place their hands on freeforms to reset, charge, or cleanse their energy.
Use as paper weights or bookends.
Similar to a sphere, crystal eggs emit their energy from all sides but with a focal point at the top. The egg resembles fertility and life and is excellent for personal transformation, starting fresh, beginning new projects, or brainstorming ideas. Eggs support new beginnings and transformations.
Eggs possess a beautiful feminine energy and can be very empowering for anyone to hold. Fun fact: crystal eggs are a common useful tool for reproductive health and in this case are called Yoni Eggs.
Crystal eggs are said to have the ability to unlock unconscious energy - they help us become aware of energy imbalances or suppressed emotions while supporting us in healing them. Eggs can also allow us to receive divine downloads from our Higher selves or spirit guides.
It may be helpful to think about what material you want your crystal egg to be in, perhaps something that would reflect the symbolism of the egg. I have always thought a Malachite egg would be perfect for new beginnings or journeys since it directly correlates with what the egg shape is known for.
Program your crystal egg to help you begin a new journey - whether it be moving, starting a new job, starting a personal transformation, breaking a habit, or making new ones. Set an intention for what you want the egg to support you in.
Use the programmed egg to aid in meditation, manifestation, or in the center of a grid.
Try a chakra balancing meditation or a general body scan meditation with a crystal egg to help you become aware of energy imbalances.
The smaller end of an egg is helpful for physical pain and reflexology healing.
The shape of the pyramid is found over the course of history in several civilizations and holds many different spiritual meanings. The pyramid is called a Tetrahedron in Sacred Geometry, and its main function is assisting with manifestation.
The cool thing about this shape is the contrasting yet harmonious output of energy that is at work within the shape. The solid structure base, much like a cube, has a very grounded and stabilized energy, while still allowing energy to directly flow out of the point. Pyramids connect energy from the crown chakra to the root chakra, allowing us to feel in tune with higher dimensional thinking/our higher selves while still staying grounded to Earth.
• Pyramids are excellent to use in the center of a grid, especially one where you want the energy to be grounded.
• You can also use pyramids to Feng Sui your home. It’s useful to set a particular intention to correlate with the type of crystal or stone you have. For instance, a Lepidolite pyramid in your bedroom for restful sleep. Or maybe a Rose Quartz pyramid in your bathroom or bedroom for self love, a Fluorite pyramid on your desk, or Shungite or Green Aventurine near a TV for EMF protection.
• Another way the pyramid can be used in Feng Sui is assisting with bringing in one of the five elements: Fire.
• Pyramids can be used to cleanse and balance chakras, this can be done by placing them on each chakra point, or by meditating and visualizing each chakra while holding the pyramid in your hand.
• Holding a pyramid allows life force energy to come into the tip of the pyramid and then ground within and stabilize you. You could also try to meditate while focusing on the tip of the pyramid to strengthen manifestations.
Crystal wands come in many varieties ranging in shape, size, and type. Some wands are Double Terminated (DT) with a point at each end, some are pointed at one end and rounded at the other, and some wands are rounded at both ends, these are typically called massage wands. They can be faceted with 6 sides or fully rounded and smooth. You can even use a natural crystal point, Quartz, Smoky Quartz, Citrine, or Amethyst roots can also be used as wands since they also have points and can even be double terminated. Each shape and type of crystal wand will have a different effect on our energetic field.
Wands allow for energy to flow and be directed, their long shape allows for energy to travel up and down as well as in and out. They can be helpful for releasing negative energy or bringing in healing energy.
Wands are traditionally tools for healing. You can use a crystal wand to scan the body to intuitively pick up on and locate energy blockages and to then move energy through auras and chakras.
It’s useful to take the time to become acquainted with your crystal wand, become familiar with its energy and vibrations to strengthen any healing work you may do with it.
• Charge other crystals
• Used in spell work, rituals, or moving/directing energy
• Use a wand as a writing utensil to air draw out affirmation words or manifestations. You can also physically write these out and visualize the motion of tracing the words out.
• As mentioned above, wands can be used for healing and moving energy. One of my favorite ways to use wands is during meditation. Hold your wand in your right hand (the hand that sends energy out) and tune in to the energy of the crystal and allow whatever you are trying to release flow into the wand and out of the tip.
• My favorite types of crystals for this are ones that have the ability to transmute negative energy, such as Kyanite, Citrine, Black Tourmaline, or Carnelian. Not only are you able to release that which no longer serves you, but you are also being revitalized with cleansed and refreshed energy back into your being.
In addition to this, all of the uses mentioned for palm stones work just as well with heart carvings.
A seer stone is a roundish chunk of material that has been polished on one side. The polished area looks like a window inside the stone due to its optical effect. This type of carving is normally made in Rose Quartz, Labradorite, Clear Quartz, Angelite, or Smoky Quartz. Some seer stones are formed from stones that have naturally being polished from running water, like a river or ground water. This gives the stone a matte and rounded look, manufacturers will then slice a piece of the crystal off and polish the surface so the inside of the stone can be seen, much like a window. Seer stones are also known as window quartz.